Monday 7 July 2014

Music: The Day I Went To The Church Of Stankonia

"We are OutKast. If you don't know us by now you never will. We just turned 20 years old, but we feel like we turned 17 just yesterday.

Sometimes there are moments that cause you forget everything around you,because you've been waiting so long for it. I literally texted my friend Mikey when the line up for Wireless 2014 was announced.My favourite group in this thing called music, Outkast were coming to the UK. Andre 3000 and Big Boi have provided timeless classics that have stood the test of time and you could see why live. They opened up with the party starter "B.O.B", with it's hypnotizing fast paced drum beats. 
"We don't make music for black people,white people, gay people, straight people or flippety-flop people who haven't decided yet. Were the words of deacon Andre 3000 upon orchestrating the ceremony to a jam packed field of people. There was rain (UK summer folks) and we didn't give a damn, because Outkast had the whole crowd in the palm of their hands. As expected many people went crazy went the Outkast equivalent of the feel good anthems of The Notorious B.I.G's "Juicy" and Pharrell's "Happy", "Hey Ya" was performed but the level of interest never dropped once.
Mikey and myself had great view for the performance and we saw the dynamic duo provide us with a timeless live experience. When songs such as "Elevators","Roses","Skew It On Bar-B","So Fresh And So Clean" and "Ms.Jackson" just made me feel like it was the first time  I've heard these magical records.

Music has always been something for the masses, without any prejudice to any race or creed. When I looked around me for a split few seconds, I was reminded that music is for the people. They have some uber-cool fans, whether they became fans from "The Whole World" or "Hey Ya" to those who've followed the ATLiens since their birth in 1994.

Personally I'd have an Outkast concert every two years and wouldn't ever get tired of seeing them. I've seen Jay Z multiple times and never get bored. Jay Z and Kanye West - Watch The Throne tour was and experience and Outkast will join that as an experience I'm happy I saw with my eyes and not via youtube clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment