Wednesday 9 April 2014

R.I.P. The Ultimate Warrior

As 80s babies growing up we were spoilt with creativity whether via Music, Movies, TV, Cartoons etc... Many of which have become trendsetting foundations in these modern times. You see nowadays kids ain't kids, that's just my humble opinion. They're now looking upto "celebrities" or busy doing stuff just for likes or RTs in this "social media" era etc..... on the other hand we had growing up alter-egos that we believed were the truth thanks to pro-wrestling. 

At 5:02am this morning woke up on my fourth dream (it was a calm one), I got a notification on my phone (download that Bleacher Report app, you'll thank me later) which confirmed that a fundamental part of my childhood had passed away in the shape of the legendary Ultimate Warrior. It's crazy that I just watched this guy earlier hours of Tuesday morning on TV:
No disrespect to Randy Savage, but you were either #TeamHogan or #TeamWarrior growing up in that era. Ultimate Warrior was the alter-ego I was mesmerised by as a kid. I got my ass kicked a few times thinking I was Ultimate Warrior back then.
Still to this day, the only wrestler to have held the WWF Championship and Intercontinental belts at the same time.

I mean for one the guy is built like a brick house riding on a damn tank. He's energy levels, well just checkout his entrance to the ring. I repeat THIS WAS JUST HIS ENTRANCE TO THE RING:

Call him crazy, mental whatever you like but that guy was a superhero to a generation. Some people who worked closely with him had their own opinions of him, like Ted DiBiase. It was sad that as a fan what was shown, when I bought The Self-Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior DVD.

To see how they mis-represented him, considering himself and Hogan were instrumental in the brand becoming as ridiculously popular as it is today. But there is always two sides of a story as he humbly explained just a few days ago:

It was great when they finally announced this icon was being inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame. Felt like it was a power struggle or maybe just good ol' clash of egos why he hadn't been inducted sooner.
Many many people have been inducted before him, but only a select few are on the level of Ultimate Warrior in regards to how they changed the game. The likes of Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker just to name.
It felt like Warrior was finally at peace with the guys at WWE and in the climate of this news I'm happy he was alive to smell the roses and embrace the appreciation, admiration and love he earned:

Condolences to his wife and two daughters and the millions and millions of warriors around the world he gave birth to, your legacy will live on as it has always done. Fair to say they don't make them like you anymore, but then again you were from the parts unknown. Rest In Power Warrior!!

No comments:

Post a Comment